Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Shade of It All

RuPaul's Drag Race is back, y'all! Season 4 is going to be AMAZING!! I loved the first episode and I already have my favorites. So let's get to it.

First of all, Ru is looking better than ever. She doesn't age, does she? I just love Ru in his little slim-fit suits and his nerd glasses. LOVE. Michelle Visage is cool and sassy as always, and super gorgeous, of course. I love that Mike Ruiz did the first photo shoot of the season. He really should be a series regular by now. Santino is his adorable self - I love him and his dry sarcasm. Elvira (Mistress of the Dark) was the first guest judge and she was having fun with the whole experience. It was a great first episode, for sure. The theme was "RuPocalypse", so the girls had to snatch materials for their runway look from zombies (aka queens from seasons past). It was a great way to see some of our faves from back in the day. I enjoyed Shangela's schtick about coming back to the show (a la season 3) and I loved how RuPaul set the tone for the whole season by sending her away and letting the girls know that this season will be different. Because, you know, Ru makes her own rules.

So let's talk about the queens one by one, since that's what I kind of live for at this point.

Latrice Royale: I love you. I love your backstory (prison), I love your style (Dreamgirls chic), I love your attitude (nurturing and positive). You're truly the den mother of this group. The rest of the girls respect you, there's no doubt about it, and you've got the years of experience, so you've earned it. I would love to see you win a few challenges. I hate to say this, but I don't think you'll win the whole competition. You'll definitely get the recognition and accolades you deserve, though. Latrice's grade for the week: A.

Alisa Summers: You also had a compelling backstory. You finished up parole for a DUI before coming on the show. I think it's great you were so forthcoming with that. More people need to realize it's not ok to drink and drive. So thank you for being honest about that. Unfortunately, your lipsynch was terrible. Were you tired? Was the breastplate too heavy? What the hell happened? I had high hopes for you. Alisa's grade for the week: N/A

Chad Michaels: You had me at "Cher impersonator". Now, everyone knows I love me some Cher. And I love you, too. You have a whole lot of years of experience under your belt, so you should be able to teach the young'ens a thing or two. You were super nice to everyone on the first episode, and I love that. I can't wait till the Snatch Game episode where you give us Oscars Cher realness. Chad's grade for the week: A.

Dida Ritz: I didn't know what to think of you at first, but now, I really like you. I enjoy your wit and you seem really cool. Right now, I want you to step it up and give these girls a run for their money. Dida's grade for the week: B.

Jiggly Caliente: Congrats on winning the photo shoot challenge! I love your pin-up girl look you had on when you first came into the workroom. You did have to lipsynch for your life thanks to your Nicki Minaj meets Sesame Street RuPocalypse look, but your bubbly personality and fierce lipsynch performance saved you. Seriously, drop the excuses, though. The more you whine, the more those other queens will find more things to throw in your face. Own it and don't let them see you sweat. Jiggly's grade for the week: C.

Kenya Michaels: Are you and Chad related? Just kidding! I love my Puerto Rican queens!!! You are a ray of sunshine, my dear, and you've got charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent to spare. Your RuPocalypse look was not a winner this week, so make sure you listen to Ru and follow the guidelines for the challenge. You don't want to go home for not executing the runway look correctly. I cannot wait to see you bouncing around the workroom again. Werk! Kenya's grade for the week: B.

Lashauwn Beyond: You remind me so much of Akashia from season one. You two could be twins! You definitely have swagger, and that's going to take you pretty far in this competition. I love how you say "apopaloptic" instead of "apocalyptic". Ru even used it in the Untucked episode this week. LOL! You did get overwhelmed on the runway in front of the judges, but I don't blame you. This is a huge opportunity. I can see how someone would be a little flustered right out of the gate. But remember what Ru and Michelle said. You're here. So get in the game. Lashauwn's grade for the week: C+.

Madame LaQueer: Another Puerto Rican queen!!! I love it! You have got the personality and the sense of humor that I love in my queens. Your look was really good, and I was glad that you were safe this week. I'm hoping you'll win some challenges this season. You need to stick around. No going home early for you. To me, you're like Nina Flowers' younger sister. And that's a good thing. Madame's grade for the week: B+.

Milan: I love your look. You give me Diana Ross all day, honey. I think you've got a sweet disposition and a great outlook on this competition. Don't let the other queens get the better of you. You have something special to give. I think you'll win some challenges, but you'll have to really fight for the top spot. Do you have it in you? Milan's grade for the week: B.

Phi Phi O'Hara: You came out of the womb throwing shade, didn't you? Don't worry, it's not a bad thing. You're bringing cattiness, which every season needs. I would cool it with the whining about not winning challenges, though. Just bring your A game and win the next one. Phi Phi's grade for the week: B.

Sharon Needles: Already a fan favorite, and the first runway challenge winner of the season. I'm proud of you. You've got your own style, your own kind of drag, and you're letting us all into your fabulous world. Your RuPocalypse look was flawless, and even though I usually don't like blood and guts, you made it fierce! You're the one to watch right now, and everyone knows it. Sharon's grade for the week: A.

The Princess: You're one of my favorites already, even though you had a rough first week. Your RuPocalypse look wasn't quite on point, but it showed that you have skills. I want you to blow the competition out of the water next time. Don't let me down! The Princess' grade for the week: B-.

Willam: You are the funny one - but that's the best one to be! I love your sense of humor and your way with words. I think you know exactly what you're doing when you're name-dropping. I say go for it. I just want to know exactly which episode of Sex and the City you were in so I can check it out! Don't let Phi Phi or anyone else get to you. They just can't handle all the Hollywood you're bringing. Willam's grade for the week: B.

What did you think of this episode? Tweet me!