Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Entertainment Value

Before I get into this week's Basketball Wives, I want to clear up a couple of things. I've been accused of taking it easy on Evelyn and Tami and I've been asked if I'm scared of them. First of all, I'm not scared because  let's face it, I'm one of the least offensive bloggers out there. I always give reasons for what I write and I stand by my opinions, good or bad. If someone brings something to my attention (and it's happened in the past), I'll consider it and update my blog if needed. As far as taking it easy on anyone, I'll admit that if I like someone or if they make me laugh, I might not be as harsh with them as I would with someone else whose personality I don't like. But usually, I'll say I give so-and-so a pass and include the reason why they get a pass with me.

More importantly, I have two different factors to consider. One, the entertainment value of each cast member, which is why we watch, isn't it? The other is, the real life factor, in other words, would this cast member's behavior fly with me in real life? How would I feel if someone were around me in real life behaving this way? I try to be as balanced as possible between entertainment value and the real life factor, but sometimes, one outweighs the other. But I would never alter my opinion just to get the acceptance of a reality star that I've never met and more than likely never will meet. It's great to get feedback from people on these shows, but I write the blog for me and for people like me who love these shows. And to be honest, the only person I've heard from on Basketball Wives is Kesha, just for the record.

Also, just for the record, check out my blog posts from last season. I was brutal with Evelyn, among others, so there's definitely no ass-kissing going on here. If she's not pissing me off this season, or maybe I just find her more likable this season, that's just what it is. I hope I've clarified my position, and please, let me know if you agree or disagree. I love feedback, especially passionate feedback. It makes me think about other points of view and it's always awesome conversation. So, comment below or tweet me!

Evelyn: I might as well start with you because you were the trouble-maker on this episode. Or at least the loudest one, because Kenya was definitely a trouble-maker as well. I have to pull out the entertainment value card here. You made me laugh with all your gestures and catchphrases and just plain madness. Here's why. You're of Puerto Rican descent. So am I. I know those gestures. I know that swagger. I grew up with that re-hot-fire-breathing rage that a Puerto Rican woman has inside her. Now, I know every culture has their version of it. But there's something distinct about a Puerto Rican and I can see it a mile away. And the truth is: it's funny. I'm sorry. When it's not directed at me, it's funny as hell. There. I said it. Of course it was all inappropriate and silly and wrong. Of course it was. But the entertainment value of it was through the roof. Now, the real life factor? Terrible. But you already know that. There was no reason to be so mad at the girl except the smug smirk on her face which was really annoying. Other than that, you should have told her to f*** off and called her crazy and kept it moving. You know people talk about you. So, why get so upset about it? She's, in your words, a non-mutha-f***ing factor. Evelyn's grade for the week: F (for fighting, even though it was funny).

Tami: You're up, my dear, and I still love you. I like when you sit back and observe what's going on like you did at the Gansevoort (poolside). I love that you made up with Suzie, and that you were hanging out with Royce on the episode. I think it's admirable that you're still helping Kenya after that disastrous meeting she had with your colleagues. You were great on this episode, really. And I'm not just saying that so you don't get mad at me. I read your blog, and you made some good points, but I wish you would make up with Royce. I don't think she meant any harm talking about the show and her perceptions of the show in her blog a few weeks back. I'd hate to see you two not be friends anymore. Tami's grade for the week: B.

Shaunie: I loved the segment about your daughter's birthday and her meeting her favorite band, Mindless Behavior. That was awesome. I hope we get to see more moments like this as the season progresses. I know you have to remain neutral and let the drama play out, but you got involved last time Evelyn acted out with Jennifer. I think you should have sat closer to her at the dinner in this week's episode and maybe it wouldn't have gotten so out of hand. You seem to be able to calm Evelyn down better than anyone. Shaunie's grade for the week: A.

Royce: The scene about your fitness DVD was awesome. I can't wait to see it! You have a great idea, and I hope it comes to fruition soon. I think you did a great job on this episode, especially going with Tami to meet Suzie and agreeing to go with Tami to the church with Kenya. I still think you're a good friend. I hope you and Tami can work out your differences. I loved your blog this week (just like every week), and I respect your opinion. We don't always agree on everything, but I think you have a great philosophy about the show and your role on it. Royce's grade for the week: A.

Suzie: I usually get on you for talking too much to too many people, but essentially that's your position on the show. I think it was cool of you to walk Kesha out when she left the Gansevoort, and of course you had to come back to hear what Kenya was going to say after she left. You fill everyone in on everything that happens, so I guess you do a good job in your assigned role. I thought your apology to Tami was sincere and she's right, you do need to think before you speak. Suzie's grade for the week: C.

Jennifer: You stuck up for Kenya because she's always normal and nice with you, and I thought it was cool of you to say so. Unfortunately, you haven't been in many group settings with the rest of the girls, so you're not privy to some of the craziness that's been going on. I also applaud you for not commenting on what Kenya said about Evelyn, because you could have jumped on the bandwagon and said something bad about her, but you didn't. I think that was a classy move. Jennifer's grade for the week: A.

Kenya: I can understand the difference between saying you "heard" something and actually saying it as your own personal opinion. However, I think you shot yourself in the foot and put the target on your own back by beating around the bush so much. At the Gansevoort, all you had to say was, "Yes, I commented on what I had heard about you at the time. I apologize, because it was wrong of me to talk about you when I didn't even know you." Done. That's all you had to say. Instead, you had to back-pedal, front-pedal, and side-pedal, all to end up at "I don't remember." You're a fool to pull that nonsense, and you know it. And you were giving serious smirk to Evelyn and I don't know whether it was out of fear or just oblivious cockiness, but that look on your face only made matters worse. Also, if you're willing to take off your shoes and act like you're going to fight someone, you better be ready to throw down when someone does the same to you. Not run away. Just saying. Kenya's grade for the week: F.

Kesha: I understand why you brought Sakara to the dinner as backup because you needed someone to corroborate your story. It did look a little bit like a set-up, but really, Kenya should have told the truth to begin with. I know you don't like confrontations, so I wonder what was going through your mind when Evelyn snapped? I'm just curious. Anyway, hopefully this whole chapter is done, although I doubt it. And can I just say, I love your house. You have a really beautiful home and the decor is so cool. I love it. Kesha's grade for the week: B.

What did you think of this episode? Tweet me!