Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Love SNL This Time of Year

Yes, SNL is back with its 37th season. That's amazing. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am an SNL fan. You can make fun of me all you want. Tell me about all of the terrible seasons there have been over the last 37 years, I don't care. I will stick with this show forever. Because even in the worst episodes, there is some glimmer of fun and laughter. And if not, there's always next week.

This season is off to a great start. Alec Baldwin was the season premiere host, and it was a great show. Steve Martin and Seth Rogen made an appearance in the monologue, which I think worked quite well. Alec is a great host because he's not only a talented actor, he has real comedic timing, which not every actor has. There were some real gems in this episode, including Alec's impressions of Tony Bennett and Al Pacino, Kristin Wiig's amazing perfume ad for "Red Flag", and everyone's favorite game, "Who's On Top?". You can see the sketches, exclusive online clips and the full episode here.

The second episode of the season was even better than the first. Melissa McCarthy, who in my opinion is a funny lady genius, hosted and brought it big time. You know her from the hilarious movie "Bridesmaids". Her monologue was so fun, it set the tone for the whole show for me. This lady is fearless. I loved the Arlene sketch and the Taste Test the most. She really goes there - just like Kristin and one of my other faves, Maya Rudolph. Sometimes I wish Maya was still on the cast. She's also a funny lady genius. Check out Melissa hosting here.

Do you watch SNL? What do you think of the new season so far? Tweet me!