Monday, August 29, 2011

2011 VMAs - Introducing Jo Calderone

I just wanted to blog a little bit about the VMAs, since I watched and tweeted about it. Check out my tweets at: http://twitter.com/humorandspice

First, I love how people are hating on Lady Gaga's new character, Jo Calderone. I'm sure they're all pissed off because they wanted another meat-dress-type of costume for them to make fun of. Well, Gaga kind of pissed on their parade, didn't she! LOL! I LOVE that she did something TOTALLY unexpected. At first, it was like a play, this guy giving his soliloquy for this audience of somewhat stunned stars. (Did you see the look on Bieber's face?! Total confusion. Loved it.) As the performance went on, I just couldn't help but be proud of Gaga. She doesn't HAVE to dress sexy. She doesn't HAVE to wear designer gowns. She CAN. But she doesn't HAVE to in order to give an amazing performance. She was in character throughout the entire show. Some celebs can't even master one character and this broad has 2 alter egos: Lady Gaga and now, Jo Calderone. Whether you liked it or not, Jo/Gaga gave an amazing performance full of heart, passion, and pure talent. No wonder Biebs had that scared look on his face - he was probably reaching for his pacifier and his mommy! LOL! Seriously, though, if you're hating on Gaga for not being glam for the VMAs, just think of it this way: she gave you something different. And you gotta appreciate that.

Also at the VMAs, Beyonce's stunt, I mean pregnancy announcement. Now, I may be a little cynical. But popping out your baby bump at the VMAs just seemed a little ... stunt-ish to me. I don't know how else to describe it. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm happy for her and Jay, and I am a fan of theirs. It's just - it seemed SO calculated. Maybe that's what rubbed me the wrong way about it. Anyway, congrats to them! Oh and just so you know, I think the jokes about the baby looking like Jay are mean and unnecessary. Just so you know.

Adele gave a classy and lovely performance. I love that she is so old-school glam. From the hair to the wardrobe, even her nails are just so perfectly 60s soul diva. I love that. Her voice was on point and she showed that you don't have to booty pop or fly through the air to touch people with your performance. She is super amazing, and I love her.

I thought the rest of the performances were pretty good. Standard VMA stuff. Pitbull and NeYo killed it, and brought a lot of energy to the show. Jay Z and Kanye were great, as usual. Chris Brown gave us Cirque du Soleil realness. Lil Wayne was very energetic, to say the least. But I gotta give it up to my girl Jessie J who sang with the house band throughout the show. With a busted leg she still killed it. Her voice is crazy good!

Finally, I want to say how touched I was by the Amy Winehouse tribute. I was in tears, especially when they showed her in the studio with Tony Bennett in March of this year. I loved Russell Brand's speech. I loved Bruno Mars' performance of "Valerie". I thought it was appropriate and sweet. I understand why they didn't have female performers singing her songs - it would have been awkward, I think. Better to let someone like Bruno make it fun and festive, which is what it ended up being. Even though I was crying through the whole performance. I miss her so much.

All in all, it was a great show and I was pleasantly surprised. As you can see, I don't pay much attention to who won, because for me, it's not about that at all. These artists are all winners and the show is more fun if you focus on the performances anyway!

Tweet me @humorandspice and give me your take on the VMAs!!