Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sandra Bernhard is a Genius, and so is Andy Cohen

Hey again, and thanks for coming back to check out Humor & Spice!

Last Thursday, I was watching Bravo's Watch What Happens Live (as I do every Thursday, Sunday, Monday, whenever it happens to be on), and I was so excited to see Sandra Bernhard was in the clubhouse with Andy Cohen! (At this point I should tell you I have a huge crush on Andy, and yes, I know he's not interested. But I enjoy him and his show all the same.) Sandra Bernhard, for those of you who don't know, is a comedian/singer/actress/performer. Do your research, you'll be glad you did. She's truly one of a kind.

I'm so grateful for a show like Watch What Happens Live. It brings together the most interesting, surprising, and at times, odd pairings of guests. And at the wheel is Andy, with his trademark smirks and smiles, and sometimes a furrowing of the brow. He is our voice, as he asks the questions that we, the viewers, really want answered. Now, that doesn't mean we always get an answer, but he asks, nonetheless.

So, back to Sunday night. The guests were Sandra Bernhard and Sonja Morgan from Real Housewives of New York. On Housewives, Sonja has been pushing her cookbook of toaster oven recipes, and has been labeled (I have no idea by whom) as a "lifestyle expert." Also, she shows a lot of skin. But she's fun and bubbly (for the most part), although this season she has been particularly salty towards a few of the other castmates.

All of this is important because on Watch What Happens Live (or WWHL), Sandra pretty much sauteed Sonja with some well executed barbs about her toaster oven/lifestyle expertise. She was positively brutal, but hilarious. Sonja took it in stride and even laughed at herself, which I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a problem doing. She seems to be aware of how silly she can come across on Housewives. That's why she's a tad more likeable than certain other housewives who don't know how to take a joke. Sandra then won over another little piece of my heart when she shouted out Lisa Lampanelli, another of my favorite funny ladies.

Then there's the Aftershow, which is an online show taped just after the tv show airs. Sometimes it's a gem - a million times funnier and looser than the tv broadcast. Other times, it's ... not. But I always watch because you never know. This time, it was. Sandra belted out a Love Hangover-esque ditty over the Aftershow theme music, which is almost always my theme song in my head. She then discussed Gaga and Madonna, poked fun at them, and showed them some love at the same time. Andy asked her what fashion trends she's feeling, and her answer was pretty amusing, and spot on, by the way.

And I can't go without mentioning her glorious use of the yiddish language. I'm not Jewish. But someone in my family tree must have been. I have such an affection for all things Jewish and Yiddish, it's not even funny. Maybe another blog on that soon. Mazel.

If you want to experience the magic that went down, you can check out http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-4/sandra-bernhard-and-sonja-morgan, or as Andy says, "Click around Bravotv.com."

Oh I will, Andy. I will.